Welcome To Our Learn To Swim Program!
Our Learn-To-Swim program is designed to give students a positive experience in the water!
The North Shore Learn To Swim program in broken into two separate levels:
Learn To Swim (Blue)
Open to all beginning swimmers, the LTS Blue Group is designed to provide the basic instruction needed for a swimmer to swim independently in the water, and to begin introduction of strokes. The LTS Blue Group practices on Sunday mornings for 45 minutes per session. There are three sessions to choose from. Swimmers will be ready to move to the LTS Black Group when they can do each of the following:
- swim 25 yards of freestyle and backstroke without stopping
- do the kick element of breaststroke and butterfly
- do a flip in the water (in preparation of doing a flip turn)
- jump off of the starting block
Learn To Swim (Black)
New swimmers with the above stated skills, or graduates of the LTS Blue Group program will swim in the LTS Black Group. The LTS Black Group practices twice (2) each week (Sat-Sun) for one hour each session. In this group, further refinement of stroke techniques occur, and the beginning elements of training and repetition are introduced. A swimmer will be ready to move to Novice B (final decision on move ups is done by the coaching staff) when they have mastered the following:
- the swimmer can complete 50 yards of free, back, and breast legally and without stopping
- they will be able to maintain a legal butterfly kick, with an understanding of the fly arm motion
- they will be able to do a freestyle flip turn, and will be able to do a starting dive off of the blocks
Young children who begin in our 12-week Learn to Swim Program learn basic swimming and water safety skills with a student coach instructor directly in the pool with them. Here they become comfortable with the water, learn to take direction from their instructor and learn about the sport of swimming. Young children must be potty trained.
If you have any questions about our Learn To Swim program,
please email our LTS Director, Chrissy Ouzounian.